The results for the preliminary round of the SBI PO exam are just around the corner. As such, those who are confident about clearing the prelims must start preparing for the Mains exam. While there is no specific date set for the test, the consensus is that it will be held in mid to late January or early February, with the results becoming available later that month.
Regardless of when it is held, candidates should familiarize themselves with the paper patterns and the general structure of the SBI PO Mains Exam 2023.
This article takes a look at that, precisely. Read on to learn more.
SBI PO Mains Exam: Test Overview & Stages
The SBI PO Exam is divided into four stages, that being:
- Preliminary Examination
- Mains Examination
- Psychometric Test (Group Discussion/Personal Interview)
Each phase carries its weight in terms of the final result. For instance, the preliminary round is merely for qualifying purposes and filters out candidates for subsequent tests. Meanwhile, the SBI PO Mains Exam carries 250 marks. As such, it is crucial to follow a structured preparation strategy and score as high as possible in the Mains because it holds the majority of weightage.
SBI PO Mains Exam Syllabus: Sections & Topics Covered
While there are certain similarities between the SBI PO preliminary and mains test, the syllabus for the latter is considerably more extensive and includes additional sections.
As such, the SBI PO Mains Exam syllabus comprises the following:
- Reasoning & Computer Aptitude
- Data Analysis & Interpretation
- General, Economy & Banking Awareness
- English Language
Here is a more detailed table that elaborates on the topics covered under each section:
Due to the significant additions, the SBI PO mains exam lasts for 3 hours as opposed to the 1 hour allotted to the preliminary test.
SBI PO Mains Exam Pattern: Paper Structure & Marking Scheme
The SBI PO Mains Exam includes two papers, that being the following:
- An objective test that includes the previously mentioned sections, namely Reasoning & Computer Aptitude, Data Analysis & Interpretation, General, Economy & Banking Awareness, and English Language
- A descriptive test that is centered around letter and essay writing
To elaborate, here is a detailed breakdown of how both papers are structured:
Aside from the distribution of marks in the standard SBI PO Mains Exam pattern, there are specific marking guidelines for all sections. This includes the following:
- A deduction of 0.25 marks for each incorrectly answered question
- No negative marking for unanswered questions
- No negative marking in the descriptive test
In addition, there are no sectional cut-offs, i.e., the total marks for all the sections will be considered to determine whether a candidate qualifies. Moreover, the final result is averaged out of 100. In short, the mains exam accounts for 75%, while the remaining 25% is based on the psychometric test.
SBI PO Mains Exam Preparation: General Tips & Tricks
ACE Online has prepared an expected cut-off list for the SBI PO preliminary test based on an analysis of qualifying marks from previous years. Regardless, it is vital to practice rigorously for the upcoming SBI PO Mains 2023.
As such, a few general tips and tricks to prepare for the SBI PO Mains Exam are:
- Solve mock papers and past years’ question papers, especially for the English Language section
- Brush up the commonly used idioms, phrases, and comprehension passages
- Extensively practice problems related to puzzle solving and seating arrangements
- Prioritize miscellaneous questions from sectional topics such as coding-decoding, data sufficiency, input-output, assumptions and conclusions, effect & cause
Like all other competitive tests, the SBI PO Mains Exam can be incredibly challenging. However, by adhering to a dedicated preparation routine, candidates can significantly improve their chances of clearing the exam.
In addition, it is always an excellent idea to seek help from external resources, such as the ones available on ACE Online.
ACE Online Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.